KATAROU HISTORIES 2013
What is Katarou Histories?
foster dialogue, teach the value of history, encourage collaboration, and consequently help to build a stronger community for the future.
Together, participants produce a “final project,” addressing historical preservation through stories. In the long term, this program creates a sustainable community by nurturing the youth to take a proactive role in preserving the legacy of the Japanese Americans.
Katarou Histories runs for 10-weeks in the summer during June ~ August.
Click on the word logo to download a paper registration form.
Online Registration is available at the bottom of the page
|San Fernando Valley||South Bay|
June 13, 20, 27
June 11, 18
|Times||6 - 9 PM||6 - 9 PM|
|Location||San Fernando Valley Japanese American Community Center
12953 Branford Street,
Pacoima CA 91311
Gardena Valley Japanese Cultural Institute
- Session 1: identity
What does it mean to be male, female, young, old, Japanese American, an Asian American? We conclude with an emphasis on “Japanese American identit(ies)”and why this aspect of our identity is important for our community.
- Session 2: community
In this session, we work together to define “community” and to create a community space within the program. We pair a youth with an adult participant and together, they write collective poetry.
- Session 3: Asian American / JA history
Session 3 introduces key events in Asian American history and allows participants to place their family history into the larger Asian American narrative.
- Session 4: Regional JA history
Session 4 is a region-specific history lesson that highlights how their region’s Japanese American community developed.
- Session 5: Oral- History How-To Session
- Session 6: final project preparation
- Session 7- 9: final project working sessions
- Culmination: An celebration party for the participants to share with their family, friends, and the community their final projects. This year, we will combine the two program's culminations for one giant culmination party! Don't miss it!